Something clever I'll change later

I like fantasy. The end.

Dune

Dune  - Frank Herbert This was, I believe, my 4th time reading this book. I'm relatively sure I read it 3 times in high school, the last time being when I was 17 or so.

This was a very different reading experience than it was back then.

I'm much more well-versed in the genre now, and also a much more astute reader. I have also read the Wheel of Time a couple of times. I thought I was mostly joking when I dubbed the Aiel "Fremen" to help differentiate all the WoT factions for my partner. Yeah wow no. They are Fremen, through and through. The obvious desert setting aside, they are also constantly quoting prophecy as it pertains to Paul/Rand, there's one guy who's not impressed with Paul/Rand and gets all angry and wants to fight (Jamis/Couladin), the love interest turns out to be a Sayyadina/Wise One, she is put to train Paul/Rand in their strange desert ways and gets angry/embarrassed when he messes up, they have a saying "God created Arrakis to train the faithful"/"The Three Fold Land."

I'm probably missing some, I should have kept a list as I thought of them.

Don't get me wrong, I love Wheel of Time, and the Aiel are only a small part of the story, it was just impressive how much was lifted.

So...Dune. The climax was not nearly as climactic as I remember it being. I never got excited to read the book, really. I was wondering if maybe because it is told from an omniscient narrator and even today that is hard to pull off, let alone in the 60s. It takes away most of the suspense when you know exactly what all the major players are thinking at all times. I also got really sick of everyone within hearing distance of Paul saying/thinking things like "Wow that was an astute question," "Damn that kid is smart," "He sure acts older than his 15 years." Geez we get it, he's a kid, he's soooo special, can we move on?

I still liked it, of course, but I don't think I LOVED it, like I did when I was younger.

The Dog Stars