Something clever I'll change later

I like fantasy. The end.
Uglies - Scott Westerfeld As seen on Stumptown Books.

I'll be the first to admit that I have a really hard time taking books at face value. If all it wants to offer me is a nice, comfortable, sometimes funny read, I am immediately suspicious and wonder what its ulterior motives are. I tried very hard to put that tendency behind me for this book, and, I'm proud to say, that for the most part it worked.

Uglies was an easy breezy read. Indeed, I tore through it in just an afternoon. It was fast paced and kept my interest, and any book that makes me immediately want to pick up the sequels definitely means something to me. Friends have warned me off of trying to finish the series, but I think I am going to try at least one more, just to see what happens. Some of the "plot twists" were seen from a mile away, and the whole idea of the rebels hiding out in the wilderness, leading a life of freedom but hard work, is tired.

Unfortunately, it's setting itself up to be a love triangle, and man do I hate those nowadays. The first love interest is a vapid non-entity, and the jealousy that ensues is cloying and stupid. Hey, let's make some pretend drama! Yeah! Great idea! That will get our readers invested! Needless to say, I wasn't interested in that part of the story, and I doubt that many people were.

The endless repetitions of the words "ugly" and "pretty" got to me. I felt like the author was trying to teach us something, but couldn't quite get there, and ended up becoming bogged down in modern day stereotypes instead.

However, the story was original and fast paced, and I'll let a lot slide for that. If you're interested in a quick and easy dystopian book, this is a good one to grab.

The Dog Stars