Something clever I'll change later

I like fantasy. The end.
Song of the Wanderer - Bruce Coville This review can also be read on my blog, Stumptown Books.

The second novel in The Unicorn Chronicles picks up mere moments after the first novel ended, plopping us right back down into the action. Cara is given a quest within a few pages and she sets off without much ado. We are introduced to a few new unicorns, and Thomas continues the adventure with the party.

One of the things I enjoy about this series is that the unicorns are hardly perfect. They each have character flaws, egos, and occasional poor decision making. There isn't any of the special snowflake princess in these unicorns. Lightfoot will always be my favorite unicorn from this series, because he really does seem like the spoiled prince who is just trying to make a name for himself in the world, outside of his family. There is unfortunately not enough of my favorite character, the Dimblethum, although we are introduced to Medafil, whose constant stream of hyperbole and made up curse words had me smiling.

My number one gripe about this series is that everything is incredibly convenient and through a series of astonishing coincidences, Cara rediscovers her family, including her parents and grandparents. I could handle it for the first installment, Into the Land of the Unicorns, because that one overall felt the most juvenile, so everything working out was ok with me. But while this one has all the characters grow up just a little bit, no one ever makes a misstep, or if they do, it is always a good thing and a benefit to all in the end.

If I weren't a bad poker player, I would stop the series here, but I hate giving up on a series once I start it. The reveals at the end creeped me out more than intrigued me, and the next two books just get longer and longer. This novel actually made me dislike the first one a little bit, because the reveals were so odd and adult yet the writing was so obviously juvenile.

The Dog Stars